|WMA Contact - Pat Melugin|
|2955 Anode Lane (PO Box 540126)
Dallas, TX 75220
Show Dates (click here)
Dallas Pen Shop was founded by Lyman Short in September of 1947 as a retail card shop and fountain pen repair center. Lyman had been a traveling salesman for both Sheaffer and Parker Pen for many years. The invention and development of the ballpoint pen led Lyman to more and more writing instruments and fewer cards and fountain pen repairs.
In 1955 Lyman hired Ed Melugin as his first outside sales representative. Ed called on all commercial accounts and began developing the wholesale side of the business. After many years of effort, the wholesale side of Dallas Pen began to outsell the commercial/retail side. The business was incorporated in 1967 and in 1970 Lyman sold Dallas Pen Company to Ed Melugin.
Ed immediately converted the business to a 100% wholesale business selling to drug stores, office supply stores, college bookstores, and specialty shops. He also built a 10,000 sq ft. warehouse and relocated the business. Ed then began to expand the product offering to include more office and school supplies that could be sold to his existing customers. He also expanded by hiring sales people to cover Texas and Louisiana.
Today Dallas Pen occupies a 40,000 sq ft warehouse with over 33,000 inventory items. There are eight full-time sales people in the field covering New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama and parts of Kansas,. The sales force not only sells to the office and school supply markets, but teaching and mailing supplies have been added as well.
Ed Melugin has been retired for several years, leaving the running of the company to Pat Melugin (president and CEO), Bobbie Melugin (vice-president), and Leonard Ingram (secretary).